Fort Mackinac and Disbandment 1814
In May 1814 two companies of The Royal Newfoundland Regiment were sent to Fort Mackinac to repel an expected American assault. The Regiment helped stop the advance forcing the Americans to give up the plan. Two American ships, the Tigress and the Scorpion were left to harass the British position and to blockade the supply route to the fort. A handpicked raiding party which included Lt Andrew Bulger and other members of The Royal Newfoundland Regiment was sent out with the intent of capturing both vessels. They rowed downstream and under of cover of darkness were able to board and overcome the surprised defenders. The Scorpion was taken the next night under a similar plan and both vessels were returned to Mackinac as prizes of war.
Lt Bulger was next sent to organize Fort McKay situated at the junction of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers at Prairie du Chien (see map). From Fort McKay the recently promoted Captain Bulger planned to harass American forces in the Mississippi Valley. This plan was disrupted by news that the Treaty of Ghent had been signed on Christmas Eve in 1814 effectively ending the war.
The remnants of The Royal Newfoundland Regiment were sent to their homes in St.John’s and given garrison duties. In 1816, The Royal Newfoundland Regiment was disbanded under British orders concerning the reduction of Fencible Regiments.